Republic Flooring is another US-based flooring brand we are reviewing here at HomeFloorExpert. The brand specializes in SPC and WPC vinyl plank as well laminate flooring which is sold online and in stores across California and Texas. Republic Floors states that they aim to provide flooring of the highest quality. We are going to test this by examining all aspects of the brand including Price, Thickness, Style, and Republic Flooring Reviews found online.
Disclaimer: Please note this post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click at no extra cost to you. All recommendations and opinions remain our own.
Republic offers four different flooring ranges, these are Pure SPC, Pure SPC Max, Pure Grout, and Laminate Flooring. The first three are vinyl plank flooring.
All Republic vinyl plank lines are 100% waterproof and come with a pre-attached 1.5mm acoustic and anti-bacterial underlayment. They can be installed straight over most subfloors.
SPC stands for Stone Plastic Composite, it is basically stone-reinforced Vinyl Plank Flooring. Republic Floors states that they are the pioneers of waterproof SPC flooring. This SPC Core makes Vinyl Planks stronger and more stable.
The Pure SPC range offered by Republic flooring consists of 8 separate collections, these are; California Oak, Mountain Oak, Oregon Oak, Coastal Oak, The French Islands, Carmel By The Sea, Countryside, and Tasmania. Some of these collections come in extra long and extra wide planks sizes.
The overall thickness in these collections ranges from 6mm to 8mm and all of them have a respectable 20 mil wear layer.
Pure SPC Max
The Pure SPC Max range is supposed to be the strongest SPC line that Republic Floors offer. It has an even stronger core than the Pure SPC line as it has a better density by 40%. This line is 100% waterproof, Republic even states that it will never shrink or expand.
The overall thickness of Pure SPC Max is 6mm and a solid 20mil wear layer. The range features 10 unique hardwood-look collections in standard and XXL sizes.
The Republic Pure Grout line was made with the intention to mimic the look of ceramic and stone tiles but are easier to install therefore a good option for Kitchens and Bathrooms.
This luxury vinyl tile collection consists of 6 different ranges; Siberian River, Wood Stone, Victoria Falls, Nature Stone, Western Amber, and Magnolia Brook.
The overall thickness of Pure Grout tiles is 7mm, this is topped by a 20mil wear layer. The tiles themselves come in rectangular and square shapes of varied sizes.
As well as the vinyl plank, Republic Floors also offer laminate flooring products. Their laminate range consists of over 11 hardwood-look collections, with some great-looking designs within them.
The eleven collections are; Malta Islands, Frontier, Platinum, European Plus, European Lite, Fortress, Fortress (random-length), The Glens, Big Oak, and Urbanica.
Republic laminate flooring varies on overall thickness (8-12mm) depending on the collection. The Frontier collection is one of the thickest with an overall thickness of 12.3mm which is very respectable for a laminate product.
The collections come in varying sizes with some extra- wide and long sizes available. Additionally, Republic offers random-length planks with their Fortress Random Length collection, not something many flooring brands offer. It is also important to note that laminate flooring is not waterproof.
Republic Floors Online Reviews
As with all flooring brands, online reviews are important for their credibility. We analyzed the Republic Flooring Reviews in detail. We discovered that the overall impression of the brand online is average with many mixed reviews. However, a large percentage of the reviewers are impressed with their experience with Republic Floors.
The brand scores 3 out of 5 stars from 12 unique reviews on yelp.com and 3.7 out of 5 stars on womply.com.
The largest amount of discussion about Republic flooring can be found on a houzz.com post we found that has over 587 comments from consumers. In this Houzz post, we found many happy customers who outlined how beautiful their Republic floors are.
We also found that some of the people commenting on republic flooring in this post reported scratches. Scratches are something that can be avoided if the right care and maintenance rules are applied.
One of the happy reviewers stated;
We had republic floors (eastern cottonwood) installed in November in the living room and in March in the family room, kitchen and laundry room. They get dirty just like any other floors but we don’t find them hard to clean. A lot easier to clean as compared to the tile floors we used to have. They do search but not as easy as hard wood floors. We have a 3 year old and a dog, no issues with floors except for minor scratches which are expected. We get a lot of comments on the floors how great they look. So far so good. Our contractor also installed the same floors in his house.source – houzz.com
Overall, from our analysis, Republic Flooring has a decent online reviews profile. The public assessment of the brand is not amazing but also not bad, average in summary.
These prices were sourced from regalfloorcoverings.com, this website stocks the most Republic flooring products online, they offer all Republic ranges.
|Republic Line||Price per Square Foot||Overall Thickness||Wear Layer Thickness|
|Pure SPC||$3.39 – $4.59 SFT||6mm – 8mm||20 Mil|
|Pure SPC Max||$3.39 – $4.09 SFT||6mm||20 Mil|
|Pure Grout||$4.59 – $4.99 SFT||7mm||20 Mil|
|Laminate||$3.09 – $3.39 SFT||8mm – 12.3mm||N/A|
Republic Vs Best Vinyl Plank Brands
|Brand / Line||Overall Thickness||Wear Layer||Price per Square Foot||Warranty|
Residential / Commercial
|Coretec Grande||15 mm||30 mil||$10.99 per sq. ft||lifetime / 10 year|
|Shaw Floorte Plus||12 mm||30 mil||$6.99 per sq. ft||lifetime / 20 year|
|Coretec Plus Premium||12 mm||20 mil||$7.00 – $7.50 per sq. ft||lifetime / 10 year|
|Cali Bamboo Legends||12 mm||20 mil||$6.49 per sq. ft||50 year / 15 year|
|NuCore Rigid Core 8mm||8 mm||22 mil||$3.79 per sq. ft||lifetime / 15 year|
|Republic Pure SPC||6 – 8 mm||20 mil||$3.39 – $4.59 per sq. ft||25 year / 10 year|
|Provenza MaxCore||8 mm||20 mil||$4.99 per sq. ft||lifetime / 15 year|
|Mannington Adura Max||8 mm||20 mil||$5.50 – $6.00 per sq. ft||lifetime / 10 year|
|Armstrong Luxe Plank||7.8 mm||20 mil||$4.39 – $5.39 per sq. ft||30 year / 10 year|
|Smartcore Ultra XL||7.5 mm||12 mil||$3.89 per sq. ft||lifetime / 5 year|
|LifeProof 7mm LVP||7 mm||20 mil||$4.00 – $4.99 per sq. ft||lifetime / 15 year|
|Mohawk SolidTec Plus||6 mm||20 mil||$4.35 per sq. ft||lifetime / 10 year|
|Paramount Keystone XL||5.5 mm||20 mil||$5.00 – $5.50 per sq. ft||lifetime / 15 year|
Compared to competing Vinyl Plank brands Republic Floor is very affordable, starting at $3.39 per square foot its cheaper than most brands in their thickness spectrum. The pricing is good value considering the respectable 8mm plank thickness and a 20mil wear layer of Republic Flooring.
Where to Buy Republic Flooring?
You can find Republic in many local flooring stores. Alternatively, you can shop online in stores such as FlooringInc.
We consider Republic Pure SPC to be fairly durable flooring. The main aspect that highlights durability is the Stone Plastic Composite Core which is much denser and stronger than a normal Vinyl Plank core.
The second major aspect of Republic flooring that hints at good durability is the overall thickness of their products. Many Republic Laminate flooring ranges have a great overall thickness of 12.3mm. The Republic SPC Vinyl Plank flooring goes up to 8mm in the overall thickness and has a respectable 20mil wear layer.
These figures are very similar to some respectable brands such as Armstrong Luxe Plank, Mannington, or NuCore. However, Republic can’t compete on thickness with brands like Coretec or Cali Bamboo which go up to 12mm in overall thickness but are more expensive. Generally speaking, the thicker the flooring, the more durable it is, and the more it costs.
Additionally, Republic Flooring comes with a 25-year Residential and 10-year Commercial Warranty. Most of the Laminate offered by Republic floors is AC4 grade meaning its suitable for high traffic residential use and moderate commercial use.
Republic Flooring can be installed using the float method, which is the common installation method for vinyl plank flooring. It is done by locking the planks together using a Click and Lock installation system. No glue or nails are required.
Republic Flooring Pure SPC comes with a pre-attached layer of underlayment to each plank and does not require additional underlayment. The brand’s laminate flooring on the other hand does require underlayment for proper installation.
Republic flooring should be acclimated in the rooms in which it will be installed by letting the packages of flooring lie flat on the floor for at least 48 hours prior to installation.
The major rule for good installation is a suitable subfloor. The subfloor should be structurally sound, level, and free from moisture. For more information on installation go to the Republic Flooring website.
Looking for an approved installer?
Lots of our readers often complain that they can’t find flooring installers in their area. We recommend you try our free estimation tool to get at least 3 free quotes from qualified & approved installers in your area within 24 hours.
The tool is powered by Networx who have been helping people find qualified flooring installers for over 20 years.
Proper care & maintenance is essential for a long-lasting hard-surface floor. Regular cleaning combined with the right protection methods helps your floor keep its shine for longer. Below are some key instructions to follow for a proper care and maintenance routine.
Rules of Cleaning
- Vacuum your floor regularly, perhaps even every day. Dirt and dust are abrasive to hard-surface flooring and can cause scratches and scuffs.
- Use a hard-surface-approved vacuum. Most vacuums are not suited for hard floors and can potentially do more bad than good. We recommend the Dyson V7 Series Cordless Stick Vacuum.
- Mop your floors at least once a week to remove dust. When mopping, it’s crucial not to over-saturate your floor, hence why you should use a damp mop not dripping with water.
- Alternatively, you can use a spray mop. Spray mops release a fine mist of cleaning solution with the touch of a button, which prevents over-saturation.
- Speaking of cleaning solutions, make sure you use a PH-neutral one. Dish soap and vinegar are acceptable as long as you don’t use too much of them. You can add a few drops of essential oils for a pleasant room odor.
- If you want to take a professional approach, use a cleaning solution specifically designed for flooring. We recommend Bona Hard-Surface Floor Cleaner.
Mistakes to Avoid
- Avoid vacuuming too fast. Take it slowly. If you go too fast, you may end up scratching your floor and even damaging furniture corners.
- Don’t use scouring pads or steel wool for cleaning. These two will certainly scratch your floor.
- Do not use a steam mop. Although some brands allow it, we found that using a steam mop causes your floor to lose its shine faster than usual due to the high steam temperature.
- Don’t use vacuums with beater bars.
- Don’t use all-purpose or multi-purpose cleaning solutions.
- It’s well known that furniture legs can damage flooring. Attach large-diameter felt pads to them so they can glide smoothly when moved around and don’t cause dents.
- Place walk-off doormats at house entrances to prevent bringing in dirt from the outdoors.
- Avoid wearing shoes indoors as these can bring in a lot of dirt and debris. Wear socks instead.
- Office chair casters are notorious for scratching floors. Invest in a protective chair mat or rubber blade casters to prevent this problem.
- Maintain a room temperature between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. This prevents moisture problems.
- If you have a dog, nail trimming will prevent them from scratching the floor. Plus, most dogs like their nails to be trimmed now and then.
- Place rugs in high-traffic areas such as the living room couch area.
Pros & Cons
As with all floor brands Republic Flooring has its Pros and Cons, let’s discuss these in detail starting with the brands’ positive side.
Republic Flooring Pros:
- Affordable Pricing – Starting at $3.09 per square foot, Republic is an affordable option considering its thickness.
- Good Thickness – Republic flooring is quite thick for vinyl plank flooring and also has a respectable 20mil wear layer. Some of their Laminate lines are 12mm in overall thickness.
- Strong SPC Core – The brands flooring has a strong stone and plastic composite (SPC) core. SPC Vinyl Plank have a denser core than regular Vinyl Planks.
- 100% Waterproof – The brands Pure SPC lines are 100% Waterproof and can be installed in Bathrooms and Kitchens.
- Wide Range of Styles – Republic offers over 30 unique flooring collections consisting of both hardwood-look and tile-look styles.
- Attached Underlayment – Republic Vinyl Planks come with pre-attached underlayment, this saves costs on installation.
Republic Flooring Cons:
- Mixed Online Reviews – The Brand doesn’t have the best online reviews profile, we found both positive and negative republic flooring reviews on the web.
- Not as Thick as Leading LVP Brands – Republic Flooring isn’t as thick as some of the top LVP brands such as Coretec or Cali Bamboo.
Style – 8.5 out of 10 stars
The brand has a wide range of collections with some great-looking hardwood and tile vinyl plank designs to be found.
Durability – 8 out of 10 stars
Republic Flooring is definitely on the thicker side on the Vinyl Plank thickness scale. The brand offers 8mm vinyl planks and 12mm Laminate.
Affordability – 8.5 out of 10 stars
Compared to other brands that offer the same thickness specifications Republic Flooring is quite affordable. Starting at just over $3 per square foot.
Overall Score – 8.1 out of 10 stars
Overall Republic Flooring scored 8.1 out of 10 stars in our Review and this is a solid score. The brand has good thickness specifications, and appealing designs and is quite affordable. The only aspect where it slightly lacks is Republic Flooring reviews found online which are of mixed opinion.
What do you think of Republic Flooring? Have you had any experiences with the Brand? Feel free to share your thoughts in our comment section at the bottom of the page.
Good Alternatives to Republic SPC Flooring
Proximity Mills Vinyl – Looking for a durable and budget-friendly vinyl plank floor? Proximity Mills Vinyl floors certainly meet those requirements. Their vinyl floors have a thick 22mil protective wear layer and a fully waterproof SPC (stone-plastic-composite) core. In addition, their vinyl floors start at around $3.50 per square foot, which is relatively affordable. The brand is based in the US and offers 11 unique hardwood-look collections with detailed embossing feature wood graining and knots. Furthermore, their floors are rated Zero-VOC, keeping your home’s air quality clean.
Shaw Vinyl – Shaw Industries is a huge, US-based flooring company; the brand has been producing flooring for over 40 years. They offer many highly rated and fully waterproof vinyl plank flooring lines, including both hardwood and tile look styles. Most of their lvp ranges are between 8 and 12mm thick and have a durable 20mil wear layer. You can purchase some of their lines for as low as $3 per square foot, while their thickest, premium lines can set you back $9 per square foot. Whether you want a low-cost but decent-quality vinyl floor or an ultra-thick premium one, Shaw has that to offer.
Pergo Vinyl – Pergo is one of the most popular flooring brands in the US. The brand is known for inventing laminate flooring in the seventies. However, they also offer a wide selection of luxury vinyl plank flooring. Pergo Vinyl is known for being one of the most durable on the market, with ultimate scratch and water resistance. Most lines are at least 6 mm thick, have a 20 mil thick wear layer and a pre-attached underlayment pad. Furthermore, with options starting at $4 per square foot, Pergo Vinyl is relatively affordable.