When it comes to Luxury Vinyl Flooring COREtec is one of the leading brands in the US, they specialize in Vinyl Flooring. The durable construction of their planks and the wide range of styles to choose from really make them stand out as a brand. It seems like COREtec is perfect for those looking for a 100% waterproof hardwood-look floor. In this article we’re going to review COREtec in detail, we will be looking at all aspects of this brand and also detailing the COREtec reviews we found online. Let’s dive deep into COREtec starting from their product range.
This brand boasts a large selection of Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring. COREtec offers five different product collections, each one of which serves its own purpose. Let’s describe them in detail starting from the COREtec Original collection.
The original collection is where COREtec’s patented rigid WPC core technology began introducing a new 100% waterproof flooring option to the market. COREtec Original includes hundreds of trendy styles, these are available in a wide range of embossed grain patterns, colors, and sizes. Their styles can look similar to Oak, Pine, Walnut, and other wood species giving your floor a hardwood look while being waterproof.
The Original collection doesn’t lack in strength and durability, these planks are made up of five different layers including:
- UV Acrylic Finish – The Acrylic finish provides protection from stains and makes the floor easier to maintain.
- Wear Layer – The wear layer protects the floor from more excessive damage such as scratches and deeper stains.
- Luxury Vinyl Design Layer – The layer responsible for the look and style of the floor.
- COREtec Core – The 100% waterproof Coretec rigid core. Allows the floor to be fitted in high moisture areas, prevents warping.
- Cord Underlayment – The Natural Cork underlayment is attached to the bottom of the planks, this layer blocks out noise and cold as well as making the floor more comfortable.
COREtec Advanced +
The Advanced + collection seems like a more advanced version of the Original collection. Coretec states that this collection has even more realistic wood designs while also being more resistant to damage than Coretec Original.
This collection includes a slightly smaller range of products than the previous one however it’s still a fairly large selection of both light and dark finishes mimicking mainly Oak, Pine, and Walnut.
When it comes to construction, the Advanced Plus collection is very durable. Coretec even offers an outstanding 15-year scratch warranty on this range. Advanced + is built in a similar way to the Original, it also consists of five layers but is more centered around durability:
- Proprietary Coating – Very durable coating that protects against stains, scuffs, and scratches hence the 15-year warranty.
- Design Layer – The design layer in this collection provides a matt finish with different textured grains and colors.
- High-Density Mineral Core – 100% Waterproof extra rigid core that doesn’t warp or shrink.
- Balancing Layer – This layer adds extra stability.
- Cork Underlayment – Natural Cork underlayment attached to the bottom of the planks. Blocks out noise and cold and makes the floor more comfortable with no need for traditional underlayment.
The Coretec Stone range provides Vinyl flooring which looks like tile flooring, this even includes grout lines. You can choose from over 40 different modern styles that really look almost like they are real tiles but warmer and more durable.
The main benefit of this is that you can install a great tile looking 100% waterproof floor without having to deal with the time-consuming and labor-intensive tiling. In Addition, COREtec stone is slip, chip, and crack resistant making it a great choice for bathrooms and kitchens.
COREtec Stone are vinyl tiles rather than planks, each tile consists of 4 main layers, these are:
- Proprietary Coating – Durable protective coating, prevents stains and scuffs.
- Design Layer – Perfectly finished tile look designs that even include grout lines.
- High-Density Mineral Core – Extra-strong mineral-based core that won’t shrink, buckle or warp and is 100% waterproof.
- Cork Underlayment – Blocks out noise and cold and makes the floor more level and comfortable with no need for traditional underlayment.
The COREtec Wood series is a collection where the company combines genuine wood with its high-density mineral core. No two planks are the same, thin layers of wood are attached to the COREtec core and then topped with a protective coating which COREtec states are 100% waterproof. Consumers can choose from a variety of styles from mainly Oak and hickory, these designs look the same as Hardwood floors.
COREtec Wood is constructed by attaching 4 layers together, these are:
- UV Matt Aluminium Oxide Finish – Durable protective coating that improves stain resistance and improves cleanability.
- Genuine Wood Veneer – This Layer consists of thin genuine wood. Every piece is unique.
- High-Density Core – COREtec’s high-density core, known for being 100% waterproof, will not shrink or expand.
- Cork Underlayment – The Underlayment that comes with most COREtec products, prevents noise and cold as well as improving stability.
COREtec Pro is probably the toughest collection that Coretec offers. The series is made for commercial settings such as Bars, Restaurants, or offices and also high-traffic residential areas such as apartment building hallways. This is backed by a 15-year heavy commercial warranty. This series can be easily installed over existing floors because of the cork underlayment and an easy locking system.
Coretec Pro is highly scratch resistant and withstands heavy use, the planks themselves are made of a total of 6 layers, these are:
- UV Acrylic Finish – This finish provides scratch resistance and improves clean-ability.
- Wear Layer – This layer protects against stains and excessive wear.
- Design Layer – The layer which illustrates the overall look of the floor.
- Ultra-Dense SPC Core – This Core is even denser than the other COREtec cores, not only is it 100% waterproof but also resistant to dents.
- Balancing Layers – These balancing layers provide additional stability.
- Cork Underlayment – Cork Underlayment blocks out the cold and noise which means there is no need for extra underlayment before installation.
Durability is an area where COREtec shines the most, most of its collections are made up of 4 to 6 layers making the floors very durable. The Advanced+ and Pro series are especially durable, you could easily expect these floors to last up to 15 years. Furthermore, all of COREtec’s flooring range is 100% waterproof, this eliminates shrinking and expansion of your floor.
Overall, COREtec floors are more durable than any Hardwood Flooring, Engineered Hardwood, Tiles, and most other vinyl floors on the market. We consider Coretec to be a great choice if you are looking for a floor that will last for over 10 years and is 100% waterproof.
In order to back the strong durability, this company is known for COREtec offers some of the best warranties of any flooring company. The 15-year residential warranty on the Advanced+ range and the 15-year commercial warranty on the Coretec Pro range stand out the most.
COREtec Flooring Reviews
To ensure a fair review we did some research on the web looking into COREtec Flooring Reviews. Conclusively we found that around 90% of the Coretec Reviews we found online are 5-star reviews.
Here are two reviews on the COREtec Pro range we found on build.com, one from a typical consumers perspective;
“We could not be happier with the hickory vinyl plank flooring. We finished our basement with it. The quality seems to be top notch. The textured embossing is excellent. So far it’s held up to chips of drywall, caulk, and metal wire fragments being swept across it or stepped on. No scratches at all. I’m sure dragging heavy furniture over it would scratch it, but so far it is way more scratch resistant than cheaper options. It’s very satisfying to touch and walk on. “Provided by Build.com
Also one from a builder/investors perspective;
“This flooring is gorgeous! We have used a number of different LVP products on investment homes but went with this COREtec for our sons totally remodeled 3 story row home ..We put this throughout the home and it looks amazing! Installation was easy and zero issues with the quality or having chipped edges in boxes etc that we have dealt with before! Will definitely be using COREtec again! “SusanA – Provided by Build.com
Pricing & Availability
Coretec Pricing can be both affordable and expensive depending on which range you choose. If we compare the COREtec Pro range (starting at $4.99 per squared foot) to other industry leaders such as Shaw and Mohawk then COREtec is more expensive by $2-3 per squared foot.
However, this is because COREtec is probably the industry leader in terms of durability and water resistance. Additionally, COREtec’s included Cork Underlayment eliminates the need for traditional rolls of underlayment, therefore, saving some costs.
|Coretec Line||Cost per Square Foot||Warranty|
|Original||$6.50-$10.49||Limited Lifetime Residential|
|Advanced+||$9.49||15-Year Scratch Warranty|
|Stone||$9.99||Limited Lifetime Residential|
|Wood||$11.49||Limited Lifetime Residential|
|Pro||$4.99 – $7.99||15-Year Heavy-Commercial|
COREtec floors are one of the easiest floors to install in your home, all of COREtec’s products can be installed using the floating floor method. Furthermore, because of the cork underlayment attached to each plank, the floor can be installed over existing floors and a range of sub-floors such as concrete and wood.
COREtec installation is so simple that many customers install the floor themselves although if you do need a professional to install the floor then don’t worry. Professional flooring fitters will charge the lowest rate when installing floating floors as they are the easiest to install. If you are unsure how the whole installation process works watch the video below provided by COREtec’s YouTube channel.
As with any flooring type care and maintenance is key to your floor’s durability and performance. To extend your floor’s lifetime and avoid costly damages you should follow COREtec’s maintenance tips.
- Use a PH-neutral floor cleaner such as Encore.
- Clean your floors at least weekly.
- Use rugs to cover high traffic areas and workstations.
- You should use furniture leg pads to avoid scratches, these can be found in most local DIY stores.
- Use the right vacuum type for your floor, some vacuums will cause damage and scratches.
- Don’t bring dirt inside, ideally, you should use floor mats at your home’s entrance points.
- Never use bleach, oil soap, or any other potentially harsh household cleaning products. Use a cleaning product specifically designed for LVP flooring such as Encore.
- Do not drag heavy furniture on the floor.
- Do not expose to the sun for long periods of time and make sure your home is not too humid.
- Don’t use vacuums with rotating beater bars.
- Don’t use steam mops with COREtec floors.
Our favorite laminate flooring mop is the Bona Spray Mop by far. We highly recommend it for all Hard-Surface floor types. It’s lightweight and doesn’t oversaturate your floor or require a water bucket.
If you’re after a vacuum, then we recommend the Eureka Elevate Cordless Vacuum. It’s our favorite choice, quite affordable, and doesn’t hurt hard-surface floors.
Pros & Cons
As with any type of floor, there are certain Pros and Cons to COREtec’s flooring products. Let’s go through these starting with the Pros.
- COREtec provides a 100% waterproof flooring solution for wood look floor lovers. You can even install their floors in Bathrooms and Kitchens instead of traditional tiles.
- This companies floors are very durable and can often last over 10 years hence the 15-year and lifetime limited warranties are provided.
- COREtec’s installation process is very simple when using the floating method, with no need for gluing or nailing down.
- This brand’s planks already have a Cork Underlayment therefore there is no need to buy extra underlayment as with most floors you do.
- COREtec provides a flooring solution for commercial scenarios such as Bars and Restaurants, this is backed by a 15-year warranty.
- The Major Con of COREtec is its pricing. Simply put Coretec cannot compete with other industry leaders such as Shaw and Mohawk in terms of affordability. In the end, you are paying a premium for quality.
- The Green Factor – COREtec’s Vinyl Planks are made from plastics therefore they not great for the planet. Furthermore, Luxury Vinyl Planks are hard to recycle and scientists have even found that luxury vinyl products can contain toxic chemicals.
Affordability – 8 out of 10
As mentioned before with COREtec you pay for quality. The brand can’t compete on pricing with some of the other brands in the LVP market.
Durability – 9.7 out of 10
COREtec’s multi-layer structure is one of the most durable types of flooring on the market today, it is also 100% waterproof.
Style – 9.5 out of 10
COREtec has hundreds of available designs that should not be unnoticed, the brand offers floors that mimic both wood and stone. COREtec definitively offers some of the most trendy looks in 2021.
Overall Score – 9.1 out of 10
Overall COREtec’s Luxury Vinyl Plank scores a respectable 9.1 out of 10 in our review. This brand is definitely a good choice if you are looking for a 100% waterproof, long-lasting floor that offers trendy looks and finishes.
Looking for a Professional Flooring Installer?
Lots of our readers often complain that they can’t find flooring installers in their area. We recommend you try our free estimation tool to get at least 3 free quotes from qualified & approved installers in your area within 24 hours.
The tool is powered by Networx who have been helping people find qualified flooring installers for over 20 years.
Does Coretec Need Underlayment?
No, Coretec’s vinyl flooring has attached Cork underlayment therefore no other underlayment is needed. The cork underlayment blocks out moisture and as long as your sub-floor or existing floor is fairly level and solid you can install Coretec flooring over it.
Can Coretec Be Used In Bathrooms?
Yes, Coretec is 100% waterproof therefore it can be installed in bathrooms, kitchens, and other high moisture areas. The only place we are unsure about fitting COREtec flooring is in open showers where the water is constantly covering the surface, it is best to contact COREtec themselves for that query.
Are COREtec Floors Worth The Money?
In our humble opinion, COREtec is 100% worth the money because of how durable it is and how long it can last. For example, COREtec gives a 15-year warranty on some of their products suggesting that the floor can last up to 15 years without replacement. Other cheaper floors may only last a few years and may need to be replaced much sooner adding extra costs down the timeline.
Let us know what you think of COREtec and share your experience with their products in the comment section at the bottom of the page.