NuCore Flooring is a Vinyl Plank flooring brand that is exclusively sold at Floor and Decor stores and on their online website. NuCore states that their flooring is 100% waterproof and has the look of real hardwood, just like most other Vinyl Plank brands. In this post, we are going to review NuCore flooring in detail covering all aspects including Durability, Pricing, Pros & Cons, NuCore Reviews, and more. Firstly let’s start by checking out what flooring lines NuCore has to offer.
Disclaimer: Please note this post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click at no extra cost to you. All recommendations and opinions remain our own.
NuCore offers a large collection of around 85 different flooring products. Most of which have the resemblance of real hardwood or gray hardwood.
The brand’s remaining lines are designed to look like tiles, these stone-look styles mainly include marble, dark marble products. The stone-look lines are sized similarly to porcelain tiles (12×24 inches), much wider than wood-look vinyl planks.
The brand also offers unique mixed plank size wood-look Vinyl Planks such as their NuCore River Port Multi-Width line.
All of the brand’s products are listed as Waterproof and can be used in Bathrooms and Kitchens.
Now let’s take a look at the Key Features of NuCore Waterproof Vinyl Plank flooring.
- 74 unique Wood-Look and 12 Stone-Look Designs in Total.
- 100% Waterproof, Can be installed in Bathrooms and Kitchens.
- Overall Plank Thickness of 5.5mm – 8mm depending on line.
- Excellent Wear Layer Thickness of 22MIL across all lines.
- Pre-Attached Cork Pad for noise reduction and a warmer floor.
- No Acclimation Required.
- Easy Floating Click and Lock installation process. No Glue or Nails needed.
- Anti-Microbial top coating resistant to stains and mildew.
- Lifetime Residential/ 15 Year Commercial Warranty included.
When examining the Durability of Vinyl Planks you have to look at the Overall thickness and Wear layer thickness. The Wear Layer is a clear layer that protects the floor from scuffs and scratches. In this case, NuCore Flooring has a solid position.
NuCore vinyl planks are 5.5 to 8mm thick overall and their wear layer thickness is 22 Mil. These figures show that NuCore flooring can compete on thickness with other leading flooring brands such as Coretec, Armstrong, or Shaw.
NuCore Luxury Vinyl Planks are backed by a Lifetime Residential/ 15-year Commercial Warranty which is decent for flooring.
Additionally, NuCore Vinyl Planks are 100% Waterproof meaning they can be installed in kitchens and bathrooms and should not expand, warp, shrink or buckle.
NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring is currently priced at $2.49 – $3.79 per square foot depending on the line. In terms of pricing, this puts it in a similar position to Shaw & Mohawk.
In Summary, NuCore can be affordable considering the overall thickness of their vinyl planks.
|NuCore Line||Price per Square Foot||Overall Thickness (mm)||Wear Layer (Mil)|
|River Port Multi -Width||$3.19 per Sq. Ft||6.5mm||22 Mil|
|Carrara Marble Luxury Vinyl Tile||$2.49 per Sq. Ft||6.5mm||22 Mil|
|Flaxen Blonde Rigid Core LVP||$3.79 per Sq. Ft||8mm||22 Mil|
|Prado Rigid Core LVP||$2.99 per Sq. Ft||6.5mm||22Mil|
|Blonde Oak Rigid Core LVP||$2.49 per Sq. Ft||5.5mm||22Mil|
Vinyl Plank Price Comparison
|Vinyl Plank Brand||Price per Square Foot||Overall Thickness||Wear Layer Thickness|
|ProCore Floors||$1.19 – $3.31||2.0 – 5.0mm||6 – 20 Mil|
|Home Decorators Collection||$1.79 – $2.79||4.0 – 5.0mm||6-20 Mil|
|Mohawk||$1.81 – $4.35||4.5 – 6.0 mm||12-20 Mil|
|NuCore||$2.49 – $3.19||5.5 – 8.0mm||22 Mil|
|Shaw||$1.99 – $6.99||3.2 – 12mm||6-30 Mil|
|Cali Bamboo Vinyl Pro||$3.59||4.7 – 12mm||20 Mil|
|Coretec||$4.99 – $10.49||5.0 – 12 mm||20 Mil|
NuCore Vinyl Plank Reviews Online
After doing some research on NuCore Reviews on the web we realized that the brand doesn’t have many online reviews. Their Google score averaged 3/5 stars out of just 10 reviews. We found some good and bad reviews but It’s hard to judge NuCore with such a small database.
NuCore Flooring can be bought in all local Floor & Decor stores, alternatively, you can order online on the Floor & Decor website and have the product delivered to your home.
All NuCore products can be installed using the floating method which uses a locking mechanism and doesn’t require any use of glue or nails. Make sure you leave expansion gaps when installing the floor.
NuCore Vinyl Planks can be installed in multiple rooms throughout, without the need for transition strips between rooms.
Prior to Installation make sure that your subfloor is free from any moisture, level, and structurally in good shape. If your subfloor is uneven we recommend either installing a new plywood subfloor (at least 6mm thick) or pouring down self-leveling concrete.
Does NuCore Flooring require Underlayment?
No, NuCore is a Rigid Core Vinyl Plank with its own attached Cork underlayment Pad. Simply put, if your existing sub-floor is level and free from moisture you don’t need extra underlayment. Just install NuCore straight over your existing subfloor.
Care & Maintenance is key to the longevity of your NuCore floor. Below are some helpful cleaning tips, mistakes to avoid, and protection methods.
- Dirt and debris are abrasive to vinyl flooring, which causes scratches. Regularly vacuum your floor, especially before mopping.
- Only use vacuums listed as suitable for hard-surface floors by the manufacturer. We recommend Dyson V7 Fluffy Cordless Stick Vacuum for Hard Floors.
- When mopping, it’s vital not to over-saturate your floor. To avoid over-saturation, use a damp mop or a spray mop.
- For best results, we recommend using the Bona Premium Hardwood Floor Spray Mop, which releases a fine mist of cleaning solution with the touch of a button.
- Although some vinyl plank brands allow it, we advise you not to use a steam mop. The high temperature will cause your vinyl floor to lose its shine and become dull faster than usual.
- Always use a PH-neutral cleaning solution. You can use a water and dish soap or water and vinegar solution as long as you don’t add too much dish soap or vinegar.
- To ensure your solution is completely PH-neutral, use a professional cleaning solution such as the Bona Pro Series Luxury Vinyl Floor Cleaner.
- Avoid using Wax & Polish products. These can leave a yellow residue on your vinyl plank floor.
- If you want to fill your room with a pleasant odor, you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oils to your cleaning solution.
- Spillages of stain-causing liquids such as coffee, wine, and other liquor should be cleaned as soon as possible.
- Maintain a room temperature between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. This prevents excessive moisture and mold problems.
- Attache large felt pads to the legs of your furniture so your furniture can glide easily without causing scuffs and scratches.
- Place rugs in high-traffic areas such as near the living room couch.
- Office chair wheels are notoriously known for scratching vinyl plank floors. To stop this, invest in a protective chair mat or floor-friendly blade casters.
- Place walk-off doormats at house entrances to avoid bringing in dirt from outdoors, which can potentially scratch your floor.
- If you have a dog, nail trimming will prevent them from scratching the floor. Plus, most dogs like their nails to be trimmed now and then.
- Avoid wearing shoes indoors as they bring in outdoor dirt and can cause permanent scuff marks. It’s best to wear socks.
Pros & Cons
Thickness – NuCore’s overall plank thickness (5.5-8mm) and wear layer thickness (22 Mil) are respectable in comparison with other leading brands known for durability.
Style – NuCore offers over 80 different designs, these include both wood and tile look Vinyl Planks. NuCore even offers mixed-size plank designs which some brands do not offer.
Decent Price – The brands Vinyl Planks are priced at around $2.49-$3.19 per square foot which is a good price considering NuCores thickness. We can say NuCore is priced in the mid-range in comparison to other Vinyl Plank brands.
Waterproof – NuCore is 100% waterproof, meaning the brand’s flooring can be installed in bathrooms and kitchens. However, we don’t recommend installing NuCore in walk-in showers where there is constant moisture.
Underlayment – The brands Vinyl Planks come with pre-attached Natural Cork underlayment. This means NuCore doesn’t require any additional Underlayment, saving customer costs on that.
Easy Installation – Like most other Vinyl Plank brands, NuCore can be installed using the floating method where no nails or glue are needed. This is by far the easiest floor installation method.
Lack of Reviews – After doing some research we discovered that NuCore really lacks online reviews. The brand only has about 10 google reviews. Additionally, the Floor and Decor website (where NuCore is sold) doesn’t allow customer reviews.
Good Alternatives to NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring
Below are some alternative flooring brands that offer highly rated and reliable vinyl plank flooring. Some of these have a similar price per square foot to NuCore.
Proximity Mills SPC Vinyl – Proximity Mills is a US flooring brand specializing in Zero-VOC vinyl plank flooring. The brand’s main aim is sustainability, performance, and affordability. Their vinyl planks have an entirely-waterproof SPC (stone-plastic composite) core and a thick 22 mil wear layer. You can buy Proximity Vinyl flooring for as low as $3.50, which is pretty much the same price as NuCore. If you want something affordable and good quality, Proximity is definitely worth considering.
Coretec Vinyl – Coretec is one of the leading vinyl plank brands on the market. Their floors are known for their outstanding durability and style. Their LVP products are 100% waterproof and have very thick wear layers, such as their Coretec Grande line, which has a 30mil wear layer and is 15mm thick overall. If you want a vinyl plank floor that’s built-to-last, Coretec is undoubtedly a worthy contender. However, it does come with a slightly higher price tag than NuCore, with options starting at $4.39 per square foot.
Shaw Vinyl – Shaw Industries is one of the largest flooring companies in the US; the brand has been producing flooring for over 40 years. They offer many highly rated and fully waterproof vinyl plank flooring lines, including both hardwood and tile look styles. Most of their lvp ranges are between 8 and 12mm thick and have a durable 20mil wear layer. You can purchase some of their lines for as low as $4 per square foot, while their thickest, premium lines can set you back $9 per square foot. Whether you want a low-cost but decent-quality vinyl floor or an ultra-thick premium one, Shaw has that to offer.
Affordability – 8.5 out of 10 stars
NuCore is priced at around mid-range in comparison with other vinyl plank flooring brands.
Durability – 8.5 out of 10 stars
NuCore Vinyl Planks have a good overall plank and wear layer thickness. However, The lack of online NuCore reviews lowers this score.
Style – 9 out of 10 stars
NuCore offers a wide range of over 86 different products with some unique plank designs and sizes to be found.
Overall Score – 8.66 out of 10 stars
In this NuCore Vinyl Plank Flooring Review, the brand scored 8.66 out of 10 stars.
In Summary, NuCore can be a good choice for durable Vinyl Plank Flooring with fairly affordable pricing. The only thing we didn’t like about the brand is the lack of online reviews.
What do you think of NuCore flooring? Have you had any experiences with the brand? Share your thoughts in the comment section at the bottom of the page.
Looking for a Professional Flooring Installer?
Lots of our readers often complain that they can’t find flooring installers in their area. We recommend you try our free estimation tool to get at least 3 free quotes from qualified & approved installers in your area within 24 hours.
The tool is powered by Networx who have been helping people find qualified flooring installers for over 20 years.