The Home Decorators Collection Vinyl is a large range of Vinyl Plank flooring sold and supplied by The Home Depot. The Home Decorators Collection was a brand itself that supplied various home decor products, that was until 2006, when it was acquired by Home Depot. The collection is largely known for being affordable and fairly durable. In this Home Decorators Collection Vinyl Plank Review, we are going to see if the Home Depot line is what people say it is.
Disclaimer: Please note this post may contain affiliate links. We may receive a commission if you click at no extra cost to you. All recommendations and opinions remain our own.
Home Depot has really done a good job of giving the customer lots of options; the Home Decorators Collection has over 70 available flooring products. The selection consists of mainly grey, brown, wood-look, and white vinyl plank floors with varying plank sizes and wear layers (from 6 to 20 Mil). The vast majority of the products are listed as scratch, stain, and skid resistant. Additionally, some non-slip floor options are also available.
Overall the vinyl plank product range offered by Home Depot is large and has lots of options for everyone. The only thing it lacks is stone-look designs, but apart from that, it’s a really nice selection.
Some of the main key features of Home Decorators Collection Vinyl Planks are;
- 100% Waterproof Vinyl Plank
- Pre- Attached Underlayment
- Wear Layer – 6 to 20 MIL
- Easy Drop and Lock Installation System
- Can be installed over most surfaces, including Tile, Concrete, Wood, and Vinyl.
- Authentic Designs
- Lifetime Residential Warranty and 5-year commercial warranty.
- No Acclimation Required
As seen above, some of the key features indicate that Home Decorators Collection Vinyl Planks have good durability properties. For instance, the wear layer is a clear protective coating that prevents any wear and tears to show on the floor; it’s a good indicator of durability on Vinyl Plank floors.
Home Decorators Collection offers Vinyl Plank with wear layers as thick as 20 MIL, the industry standard for good vinyl plank flooring. When buying the brand’s flooring from Home Depot, the customer should always consider the wear layer, not just the price.
Another key feature that adds to Home Decorators Collection’s durability is its 100% resistance to water which means that the plank will not expand, shrink, warp or buckle after spillages or in high moisture environments.
The Home Decorators Collection vinyl planks also come with a Lifetime Residential Warranty and a 5-year Commercial Warranty which is pretty good compared to its rival flooring brands.
Overall we must say that Home Decorators Collection Vinyl Planks have good durability. However, we can only say that about the 20MIL wear layer options offered by the brand. The flooring options with a wear layer of less than 20MIL may not be as durable.
Home Decorators Collection Vinyl Plank Reviews
After extensively scouting for Home Decorators Collection Vinyl Plank Reviews online, we found the majority of reviews on the Home Depots website.
In fact, we found a huge amount of reviews on their site, with some of the products having over 2800 unique reviews in total. All of the Home Decorators Vinyl Plank products scored an average of over 4 out of 5 stars.
Home Decorators LVP Reviews
When looking at the LVP products with over 2800 reviews, we found that 1919 of these reviews scored 5 out of 5 stars, and only about 150 reviews scored 1-2 out of 5 stars.
One of the 5-star reviewers stated;
Did both the upstairs and down with True Cherry planks. 1500 sq ft in all. Product was in perfect shape no damaged pieces in over sixty boxes. I really like Home Decorators click and lock design. A patient person can get a professional job. It takes a limited number of tools to accomplish the installation, but a saw to cut around the door casing is about necessary for a neat job.
Whilst on the other hand, an unhappy customer wrote;
Doesn’t snap together like Allure or other high end products. Many of the end seams didn’t go together well. If I could do it again, I would spend a little extra on better materials.
We also found several discussions on forum websites such as houzz.com with both positive and negative reviews. However, a lot of these negative reviews are due to things like bad installation and too-high expectations.
Overall the online reviews profile of Home Decorators Collection LVP is very good due to the huge number of positive reviews. We think that the brand’s flooring can be a great choice for those looking for affordable pricing, so let’s discuss pricing and availability in the next part of this article.
Home Decorators Collection Pricing
The major benefit of the Home Decorators Luxury Vinyl Plank is its cost. Prices of some products are as low as 1.79$ per sq. ft and only as high as $3.29 per sq. ft for their most expensive line. Even the flooring products with thick 20MIL wear layers sell for as low as $2.39-$2.79 per Sq.Ft.
Considering the wear layers, Home Decorators Vinyl Planks are some of the most affordable floors on the market that have decent durability. Home Decorators Collection LVPs are cheaper overall than leading vinyl plank brands such as Shaw, Coretec, Mohawk, or Cali Bamboo.
|Home Decorators Vinyl Line||Price per Square Foot||Wear Layer Thickness (Mil)||Attached Underlay?|
|Natural Oak Washed 6×48 Vinyl Plank||$1.79 per Sq. Ft||12 MIL||Yes|
|McKinney Walnut 7.20×42 Vinyl Plank||$2.39 per Sq. Ft||20 MIL||Yes|
|Arkansas Oak 7.20×42 Vinyl Plank||$2.79 per Sq. Ft||20MIL||Yes|
|Java Hickory 6×36 Vinyl Plank||$1.79 per Sq. Ft||8MIL||Yes|
|Silver Key Beach 7.20 x 42 Oak Vinyl Plank||$2.39 per Sq. Ft||6 MIL||Yes|
Home Decorators Collection Compared to Other Vinyl Plank Brands on Pricing
|Product Name||Price per Square Foot||Overall Thickness||Wear Layer Thickness|
|Home Decorators Collection LVP||$1.79 – $2.79||4 – 4.2 mm||8 – 12 mil|
|Mohawk SolidTech Essentials||$2.05 – $2.70||4.5 mm||12 mil|
|ProCore Plus (Lowes)||$2.49 – $2.59||5 mm||12 mil|
|Proximity Mills LVP||$3.49 – $6.99||5 – 6.5 mm||22 mil|
|NuCore RigidCore 8mm||$3.79||8 mm||22 mil|
|SmartCore Ultra XL||$3.89||7.5 mm||12 mil|
|LifeProof RigidCore||$3.99 – $4.99||7 mm||20 mil|
|Pergo Extreme||$4.19 – $4.79||5 – 6 mm||20 mil|
|Mohawk SolidTech Plus||$4.35||6 mm||20 mil|
|Armstrong Luxe Plank||$4.39 – $4.79||7.8 mm||20 mil|
|Flooret Modin LVP – Signature||$4.50||7 mm||40 mil|
|Mannington Adura Max||$5.49 – $5.99||8 mm||20 mil|
|Coretec Plus Premium||$6.49 – $7.49||12 mm||20 mil|
|Cali Bamboo Legends||$6.49||12 mm||20 mil|
|Shaw Floorte Classic||$6.99||12 mm||30 mil|
|Coretec Grande||$9.99||15 mm||30 mil|
Home Decorators Collection flooring can be bought in most local Home Depot stores. Alternatively, you can order flooring online from the Home Depot website and have it delivered to your house.
Home Decorators Collection vinyl planks can be installed using a fairly easy Click-Lock installation system (floating method). They can be installed over Concrete, Plywood, Tile, Wood, and Vinyl. However, this does also require tools such as an electric saw for cutting the planks to shape in difficult areas around doors.
Before you start the installation, make your sub-floor on which the new floor is getting laid on is flat throughout and has no rot or damp issues.
If your old wood floor is uneven, you can screw down large ( at least 9mm thick) plywood boards to level out the surface and create a better subfloor.
It is important to leave (mm) expansion gaps between the edge of your new floor and your skirting boards (meaning you need some trim to hide the gap); sometimes, it’s better to take off or replace the skirting boards and install them back on after installation has been completed.
Looking for a Professional Flooring Installer?
Lots of our readers often complain that they can’t find flooring installers in their area. We recommend you try our free estimation tool to get at least 3 free quotes from qualified & approved installers in your area within 24 hours.
The tool is powered by Networx who have been helping people find qualified flooring installers for over 20 years.
Proper care & maintenance is essential for a long-lasting hard-surface floor. Regular cleaning combined with the right protection methods helps your floor keep its shine for longer. Below are some key instructions to follow for a proper care and maintenance routine.
Rules of Cleaning
- Vacuum your floor regularly, perhaps even every day. Dirt and dust are abrasive to hard-surface flooring and can cause scratches and scuffs.
- Use a hard-surface-approved vacuum. Most vacuums are not suited for hard floors and can potentially do more bad than good. We recommend the Dyson V15 Cordless Stick Vacuum.
- Mop your floors at least once a week to remove dust. When mopping, it’s crucial not to over-saturate your floor, hence why you should use a damp mop that is not dripping with water.
- Alternatively, you can use a spray mop. Spray mops release a fine mist of cleaning solution with the touch of a button, which prevents over-saturation.
- Speaking of cleaning solutions, make sure you use a PH-neutral one. Dish soap and vinegar are acceptable as long as you don’t use too much of them. You can add a few drops of essential oils for a pleasant room odor.
- If you want to take a professional approach, use a cleaning solution specifically designed for flooring. We recommend Bona Hard-Surface Floor Cleaner.
Mistakes to Avoid
- Avoid vacuuming too fast. Take it slowly. If you go too fast, you may end up scratching your floor and even damaging furniture corners.
- Don’t use scouring pads or steel wool for cleaning. These two will certainly scratch your floor.
- Do not use a steam mop. Although some brands allow it, we found that using a steam mop causes your floor to lose its shine faster than usual due to the high steam temperature.
- Don’t use vacuums with beater bars.
- Don’t use all-purpose or multi-purpose cleaning solutions.
- It’s well known that furniture legs can damage the flooring. Attach large-diameter felt pads to them so they can glide smoothly when moved around and don’t cause dents.
- Place walk-off doormats at house entrances to prevent bringing in dirt from the outdoors.
- Avoid wearing shoes indoors, as these can bring in a lot of dirt and debris. Wear socks instead.
- Office chair casters are notorious for scratching floors. Invest in a protective chair mat or rubber blade casters to prevent this problem.
- Maintain a room temperature between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. This prevents moisture problems.
- If you have a dog, nail trimming will prevent them from scratching the floor. Plus, most dogs like their nails to be trimmed now and then.
- Place rugs in high-traffic areas, such as the living room couch area.
Pros & Cons
Home Decorators Collection Vinyl Plank Pros;
- Price – The various Home Decorator Vinyl Lines cost around $2 per square foot on average. Therefore they are some of the most affordable options for luxury vinyl flooring on the market.
- Good Wear Layer thickness – some of the Home Decorators Collection lines have a 20 MIL wear layer, which is pretty good by LVP standards. Additionally, these are also quite cheap, starting at only $2.39 per square foot.
- Waterproof – The brand’s vinyl planks are 100% waterproof, meaning they can be installed in all areas of the house, including bathrooms, toilets, and kitchens. However, we wouldn’t recommend putting Vinyl Planks down in walk-in showers where they receive constant water; better to go with tiles for that option.
- Underlay – Home Decorators Collection Vinyl Planks come with a pre-attached underlayment, meaning you don’t have to spend extra bucks for that, as with laminate flooring.
- Good Online Reviews – The Home Decorators Collection has over 2800 reviews on the Home Depot website. These average 4 out of 5 stars.
Home Decorators Collection Vinyl Plank Cons;
- Overall Thickness – The overall thickness of Home Decorators vinyl flooring is 4-5mm, which is much thinner than leading brands such as Coretec (8-9mm overall thickness).
Affordability – 10 out of 10 stars
Durability – 8 out of 10 stars
Style – 8.5 out of 10 stars
Overall Rating – 8.83 out of 10 stars
To conclude, we think Home Decorators Collection vinyl planks are one of the best options for affordable vinyl plank flooring that also has decent durability. We would recommend these to the Budget buyer.
Good Alternatives to Home Decorators Collection Vinyl
Proximity Mills Vinyl – Looking for a durable and budget-friendly vinyl plank floor? Proximity Mills Vinyl floors certainly meet those requirements. Their vinyl floors have a thick 22-mil protective wear layer and a fully waterproof SPC (stone-plastic-composite) core. In addition, their vinyl floors start at around $3.50 per square foot, which is relatively affordable. The brand is based in the US and offers 11 unique hardwood-look collections with detailed embossing feature wood graining and knots. Furthermore, their floors are rated Zero-VOC, keeping your home’s air quality clean.
Shaw Vinyl – Shaw Industries is a huge, US-based flooring company; the brand has been producing flooring for over 40 years. They offer many highly rated and fully waterproof vinyl plank flooring lines, including both hardwood and tile look styles. Most of their lvp ranges are between 8 and 12mm thick and have a durable 20mil wear layer. You can purchase some of their lines for as low as $3 per square foot, while their thickest, premium lines can set you back $9 per square foot. Whether you want a low-cost but decent-quality vinyl floor or an ultra-thick premium one, Shaw has that to offer.
TritonCore Vinyl Plank – Rated as our Best Value vinyl plank of the year, TritonCore is an affordable vinyl product sold only at FlooringInc stores. If you want something that’s pocket-friendly and good quality, TritonCore is the perfect option. Their vinyl plank floors are priced at $2.79 per square, making them one of the cheapest rigid core vinyl products on the market. Despite the low price, TritonCore is 8mm thick and has a respectable 20-mil wear layer. In addition, this product is fully waterproof, meaning you can install it in bathrooms and kitchens.